I have some sad and some happy news. At about 7:10a.m. on June 1 my sweet Bengal, Jasper, was hit by a car. Losing a pet is far more devastating than I ever imagined. Before this, I had never had to grieve a loss. I’m grateful for the short life that Jasper lived and I miss him so much.
Several weeks later, my family began talking about considering getting a new cat. We decided to visit a local cat rescue just to “see what they had available” as far as kittens, but three kittens stole our hearts, so we adopted them. We were thinking about getting two kittens so that they would have a playmate, but I didn’t expect for us to come home with kittens that day, let alone three of them! We’ve had them for three days and haven’t regretted it yet. 🙂
Two are girls; Pepper (the one stretched out) and Aspen (the gray one); and the boy is Maverick (top left). Maverick is sort of my kitty. He has a really sweet disposition; he can be feisty and playful, but also laid back and relaxed. Aspen is the little fearless explorer. She isn’t afraid of anything (except water). Pepper is a ball of energy and loves to play rough with the other kittens. She can also be a lap cat, that is, when she’s all tired out from playing. 🙂
Today’s recipe is a simple two-ingredient strawberry banana soft serve. If you pre-freeze the fruit, it only takes a few minutes to prepare.
- 2 large bananas, frozen (see note)
- 1 cup strawberries, frozen
- 1. Freeze the fruit until firm, about 2-3 hours or overnight
- 2. Place the fruit in the blender and run until a smooth, ice-cream-like texture forms. Add a splash of liquid or allow the fruit to thaw for a couple minutes if the blender is struggling. Serve with cacao nibs, goji berries and hemp seeds if desired.
- Reduce prep-time by purchasing frozen fruit or keeping frozen bananas on hand. I like to freeze my bananas when they begin to form small brown dots on their skin. Peel, chop and freeze them in ziplock bags.